Electrical Safety

Electrical Safety In Your Home

JMAS adheres to electrical safety standard AS/NZS 3760:2003. We test any appliance we repair to ensure it is electrically safe.

Electrical safety is mostly common sense but it won’t hurt to have a quick read through the information below to help ensure your home stays electrically safe.

An electrical appliance can be unsafe even if appears to be operating normally. Other times it will exhibit warning signs.

An electrocution risk cannot be detected by sight, sound, or smell. Electricity is a silent and invisible killer.

CHECK all appliances for signs of the following:

  • Exposed wires
  • Cracked or damaged cords
  • Circuit breaker tripping during operation
  • Burning smell
  • Scorch marks
  • Sparks
  • Loose or improperly operating power switches

If you suspect an electrical appliance is unsafe immediately unplug the appliance (if possible), and call a licensed electrical contractor. Also label the appliance or inform anyone else that is likely to try to use the appliance that it is suspected of being unsafe. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR IT YOURSELF

REDUCE the risk of electrocution by doing the following:

  • Perform regular safety inspections
  • Call a licensed electrician if you suspect an appliance or power outlet is not electrically safe. Keep appliances, cords and power outlets dry
  • Keep plugs and appliances clean. Unplug appliance prior to cleaning
  • Do not piggy back double adapters or power boards
  • Avoid the use of extension leads. When extension leads are necessary only use temporarily, never permanently, and make sure the lead is completely unwound

Contact Us